Director of Transportation
- Director of Transportation JobID: 2132
- Position Type:
- Date Posted:
- Closing Date:
Until Filled   Additional Information:
- General Description:
- Minimum of Associate of Arts degree or equivalent expertise.
- Bachelors’ degree preferred.
- Must be Department of Public Safety Fingerprint cleared.
- Must have excellent proven skills to plan, organize and implement a complex transportation plan for a school district or multiple agencies.
- Must be familiar with current Arizona Minimum Standards for School Buses and Drivers.
- Must have a minimum of 5 years administrative experience preferably in School Transportation Administration Operation and Repair; must demonstrate understanding of good transportation principles.
- Must have effective supervisory and oral/written communication skills; must have a mind set towards continuous improvement, values diversity, and must function well with in a team.
- Must be skilled in computer applications such as word processing, database spreadsheet, and scheduling software.
- Must have strong human relations skills.
- Must possess excellent management and organization skills, general clerical skills and recordkeeping experience, and the ability to effectively use technology to perform duties.
- Exceptional professional role model.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to work collaboratively.
- Exercise leadership in the support of the planning, implementation, and long-range goals of the District.
- Such alternatives to the above as the Governing Board and the Superintendent may find appropriate and acceptable.
- Duties and Responsibilities:
- Is responsible for the safety of students, staff, and motorists relating to authorized transportation by the designated fleet.
- Oversees the supervision, evaluations and training of bus drivers and maintenance personnel assigned to the Transportation Department.
- Establishes and maintains efficient, effective bus routes which best meet the needs of students and the school(s).
- Oversees the coordination and scheduling of Activity/Athletic trips to best utilize the manpower and fleet resources.
- Oversees the maintenance of accurate records on driver certification, qualifications, training, work hours, vehicle inspections, and route data.
- Oversees the maintenance of the fleet in a safe and reliable condition by performing systematic preventive and corrective maintenance in accordance with regulations, manufacturer requirements, and good industry practices.
- Submits various transportation reports required by District, state and regulatory agencies.
- Works with the Finance Supervisor regarding budget.
- Ensures requirements of the random, pre-hiring, periodic, and post accident Drug/Alcohol testing are met. Maintains punctual and regular attendance.
- Manages the vehicle and equipment fuel needs of the District.
- Manages the fleet to maintain safety, efficiency and reliability by maintaining replacement plan which projects needed replacements at 3 years into the future.
- Administers required and random drug tests.
- Interviews, screens and recommends personnel for employment.
- Evaluates all personnel under position’s supervision.
- Supervises and trains new employees.
- Approve time sheets and edits for payroll.
- Maintain punctual and regular attendance.
- Maintain confidentiality of information regarding students, staff, parents and school issues.
- Provide a welcoming atmosphere for students, staff, parents and community.
- Perform responsibilities in an ethical and professional manner.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
POSITION DESCRIPTION: Director of Transportation(Administrative Compensation Guide)
The Director of Transportation coordinates and is responsible for the safe and effective transportation of students and staff to and from school, and on authorized activity trips. The Director develops and manages a transportation plan for the fleet of vehicles belonging to AFUHSD and possibly other agencies, including buses, trucks, automobiles, and powered equipment. The Director supports the educational philosophy and objectives of the District and provides leadership in developing, achieving, and maintaining the best possible educational environment in accordance with the District’s philosophy and objectives. The Director completes special projects covering a wide variety of areas as assigned by the Superintendent and the Executive Director of Finance.
Status: Classified/ Exempt