Bus Assistant- Special Education
- Bus Assistant- Special Education JobID: 1840
- Position Type:
Transportation Services/Bus Assistant-Special Education
- Date Posted:
- Closing Date:
Until filled   Additional Information:
- High school diploma, GED or equivalent.
- Must be 18 years and read and understand oral and written instruction.
- Must obtain and maintain CPR and first aid certificate.
- Ability to perform specific operations such as; hydraulic lifts, securing wheelchairs, seat belts, safety vest, etc.
- Must be in good physical health and have the ability to stoop, climb, reach, push, pull, or lift weights in excess of 50 pounds.
- Has knowledge of emergency medical procedures for the Medically Fragile/Multiply Disabled students
- Maintain punctual and regular attendance.
- Has knowledge of emergency medical procedures for the Medically Fragile/Multiply Disabled students.
- Ability to assist special needs students as they enter and exit the bus.
- Demonstrate care and consistent concern for student safety.
- Monitor student conduct for emotional and physical conditions that may affect the safety and welfare of the students.
- Ability to cope physically and emotionally with students with multiple disabilities, behaviors, ambulatory appliances, restraint systems, equipment needs or with difficult behavior.
- Maintain order among students, supervising their behavior and enforcing district standards of conduct on the bus.
- Remain alert to physical and emotional needs of students.
- Maintain records of attendance, including any observed injuries or health conditions of students.
- Demonstrate knowledge of state and federal laws for transporting students with special needs.
- Assist in conducting mandatory evacuation drills.
- Administer CPR and First Aid when necessary.
- Report student concerns to the bus driver or transportation supervisor, and when needed to the school staff, school nurse, psychologist, special services personnel.
- Maneuver wheelchairs up ramps, over curbs and inside of bus without assistance.
- Operate variety of lift mechanisms.
- Respond to requests for back up assistance.
- Assist with maintenance of interior and exterior of bus.
- Attend and participate in department meetings and training.
- Maintain confidentiality of information regarding students, staff, parents and school issues.
- Provide a welcoming atmosphere for students, staff, parents and community.
- Perform responsibilities in an ethical and professional manner.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Board Policy and District Procedures
POSITION DESCRIPTION: Bus Assistant – Special Education
$10.50 - $14.42
I. General Description:
Provides direction and assistance to the bus driver and students when boarding and exiting the bus.
III. Duties and Responsibilities:
FLSA – Non-Exempt