2019-20 SY School Psychologist
- 2019-20 SY School Psychologist JobID: 1999
- Position Type:
Student Support Services/Psychologist
- Date Posted:
Verrado High School
- Date Available:
- Closing Date:
until filled   Additional Information:
- Masters Degree in Psychology
- A current and valid Arizona Department of Education school psychologist’s certification.
- A current and valid Arizona Department of Public Safety Fingerprint Clearance Card
- Exhibits integrity in applying the ethics and standards of professional practice in the delivery of school psychological services, including honoring confidentiality.
- Ability to explain the educational needs of students in terms that can be easily understood by parents and other appropriate personnel.
- Ability to work effectively as a team member.
- Ability to maintain clear communications with administration, staff, parents, and students as a member of various school teams.
- Assists the staff and educators employed by the Agua Fria Union High School District in a program directed toward the prevention of handicapping conditions.
- Assumes a major role in the identification of pupils with handicapping conditions, through the study of individual pupils and the appraisal of the individual pupil’s school program.
- Implements individual programs of intervention, through active involvement of all persons who have contact with the pupil, in the home, school and community environment.
- Assists the Director of Special Education in prioritizing and bring to attention issues of concern regarding special education services and programs in order to increase efficiency and effectiveness.
- Aids in the developmental and educational needs of both normal and exceptional students.
- Conducts appropriate psycho-educational evaluations and assessments of students in order to identify students with educational disabilities and to determine the academic, social and emotional needs of individual pupils.
- Provides a well-written, complete, and thorough MET report that is in compliance with federal and state regulations and district policies
- Provides personal conferences to parents before any implementation of evaluation at which time clear procedures are made known to parents (reason for referral, type of tests used) and after evaluation, interprets a profile of the pupil’s learning characteristics, current and projected potential of performance, sensory and motor skills, the social or adjustment factors which influence his learning and an educational plan for the pupil.
- Communicates results and makes recommendations to teachers based on the findings of the evaluation through oral and written reports.
- Participates through an interdisciplinary decision-making process, the determination of eligibility and appropriate assignment of students for special education programs and periodically re-evaluates the success of individual education programs in meeting the needs of each of these students.
- Supports teachers by providing informal behavioral observations in the classroom and assist teachers with classroom problems to establish effective behavior management programs. Works with staff to develop functional behavior assessments and behavior intervention plans.
- Provides individual and group counseling to students to increase self concept, improve communication skills and to gain insight into interpersonal relationships.
- Provides assistance in handling crisis situations by helping students express their feelings, providing insight and support and helping them put things back into focus.
- Provides Parent Education Programs to parents who need assistance in developing effective behavior management techniques.
- Develops and maintain contacts with community agencies and specialists in order that community resources may be used to supplement the services of the school psychologist.
- Advocates the protection of the human and civil rights of all pupils.
- Complies with federal and state special education regulations, district special education policies, and building administrative procedures.
- Provides formal and/or informal training of staff regarding special education procedures, legal requirements, and special education processes.
- Follows procedures and timelines regarding MIPS/DSC billing and voucher applications.
- Acts as district liaison for students in private placement and follows all relevant procedures and times.
- Maintains confidentiality of information regarding students, staff, parents and school issues.
- Provides a welcoming atmosphere for students, staff, parents and community.
- Performs responsibilities in an ethical and professional manner.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
POSITION DESCRIPTION: School Psychologist
(Professional Support Compensation Guide)
I. General Description:
Assists students towards greater realization of their potential, enhances teacher effectiveness by assisting educators and staff employed by the Agua Fria Union High School District in a program directed towards improving educational experiences for pupils, and influencing educational thought within the school system.
Applies ethics and standards of professional practice in the delivery of school psychological services and observes relevant laws and policies that govern practice. Participates in professional organizations and continually seeks to improve professional knowledge and skills through participation in educational courses, in-service training, and/or conferences.
III. Duties and Responsibilities:
IV. Status: Exempt